Ross Morin might be as excited to come to Yale as the Elis are to have him.

Morin, a 6-foot-7-inch power forward from Ohio, broke Princeton High School’s career scoring record and was chosen first-team All-Conference en route to leading his team to a conference co-championship and a 19-3 record. But when asked what his proudest accomplishment is, none of these make the grade.

“Probably finalizing the decision to come to Yale,” Morin said. “It’s really exciting for me and my family — knowing the hard work in school and on the court finally paid off.”

Morin spurned a number of “full-ride” scholarship offers to Division I programs to join the Elis. According to Morin, he was offered scholarships by Evansville, Davidson and George Mason. Morin’s high school coach Paul Andrews told RivalsHoops.com that Kentucky, Dayton, Ohio State, Indiana State and Rutgers were also interested.

It shouldn’t be long before the Bulldogs reap the benefits of Morin’s decision to come to New Haven.

“Ross is a special player and he’ll contend for a starting position,” head coach James Jones said. “He’s going to impact our team in a positive way and help us as a freshman.”

Jones pointed out that last year’s conference champions, the University of Pennsylvania, also led the league in rebounding. He thinks Morin, who collected 9.5 rebounds per game as a senior, should help the Elis in that respect next season. Morin also adds much-needed depth to a frontcourt that essentially used only three players this season at the power-forward and center positions.

Morin compares his game to that of Minnesota Timberwolves forward Wally Szczerbiak when he was in college.

“He could take [opponents] outside and drive, or shoot,” Morin said.

Jones drew comparisons to current Eli forward Sam Kaplan ’07 and to Penn forward Mark Zoller, who earned All-Ivy honorable mention this past season and was fourth in rebounds during conference play.

“[Morin] rebounds the ball real well and has range on his jump shot until about 18 feet,” Jones said. “[He is a] great physical presence.”

Jones said that Morin’s ball handling skills will probably require the most work in the transition to the college game.

Regardless of whether a Szczerbiak-esque scorer or a rebounder like Zoller is needed, Morin is willing and able.

“[Yale] obviously has a great group of young guys,” he said. “I want to help any way I can. I’m obsessed with winning and I will do anything I have to to get a win.”