Former Yale Vice President for Development Charles Pagnam was named senior vice president for development at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City earlier this week.

Pagnam who left Yale in October after 27 years at the University in various positions, will become Mt. Sinai’s highest-ranking fund-raiser. He will work to solicit support from donors for ongoing projects at Mount Sinai.

“Mr. Pagnam’s long experience in attracting philanthropy will be a major asset in expanding support for Mount Sinai’s academic, research and clinical endeavors,” said Mount Sinai Medical Center President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth Davis in a statement released earlier this week.

Pagnam said in the press release that he expects to use the same techniques he honed at Yale in his new position.

“Regardless of whether the cause is an academic institution, a university or a medical center, the goal of development efforts is to create an inclination in prospective donors,” Pagnam said in the release.

Yale President Richard Levin credited Pagnam with leading Yale’s successful fund-raising efforts.

“No one worked harder on Yale’s behalf than Charlie Pagnam,” Levin said. “He devoted himself to his job, and he did outstanding work in leading our fund-raising effort.”

Acting Vice President for Development Joan O’Neill said she thinks Pagnam will be an asset to Mount Sinai.

“I think it will provide Charlie with a very different environment with some interesting new challenges,” O’Neill said.

Yale development officer Donna Consolini, who once worked as a development officer in a New York City hospital, said fund-raising for a hospital requires extra tact and sensitivity, especially when approaching former patients for gifts. Consolini said Pagnam was known at Yale for his emphasis on meeting personally with potential donors.

“That kind of experience Charlie has will be extra valuable there,” Consolini said.

At Yale, Pagnam oversaw numerous capital campaigns at Yale, and overall annual contributions to the University rose from $203 million to $350 million during his tenure.

–Raymond Pacia