An East Windsor police officer was arraigned Friday on charges of kidnapping and sexual assault following a complaint from a member of the Yale community.

University Police arrested Rafael Crespo Jr., 29, Thursday at the East Windsor Police Department, Yale Police Lt. Michael Patten said. He said police received a complaint from a member of the University community but would not say whether it came from a Yale student, faculty member or employee, or if the complaint was filed by the victim.

“All the records about this case have been sealed by the judge,” Patten said. “The judge sealed it to protect the privacy of the victim.”

Crespo, a resident of East Hartford, was charged with two counts of first-degree kidnapping with a firearm, two counts of sexual assault in the first degree, assault in the third degree, unlawful restraint in the second degree and threatening in the second degree, Patten said.

Under Connecticut law, a person commits kidnapping in the first degree if he abducts and restrains a person with intent to inflict physical injury or sexual abuse. As stated in the 2003 General Statutes of Connecticut, a person is guilty of sexual assault in the first degree if such a person compels another to engage in sexual intercourse by the use of force.

University Police received the complaint several weeks ago and initiated an investigation, Patten said.

East Windsor police chief Edward DeMarco said his office was notified of the arrest warrant Thursday and cooperated with University Police in arresting Crespo. Crespo was not on duty when the crimes were allegedly committed, DeMarco said, and none of the alleged crimes occurred in East Windsor.

Crespo joined the department three years ago after a stint in the Marine Corps, DeMarco said. He was suspended six months ago for insubordination, the chief said, but has no other blemishes on his police record.

“During my dealings with him he’s a professional police officer that tends to come to work and do his job,” DeMarco said. “He’s not a problem employee.

DeMarco said he did not know of any connection between Crespo and Yale or the city of New Haven.

Crespo was placed on administrative leave with pay and turned in his firearm and badge. The department’s internal affairs division will meet with University Police soon to learn the details of the case, DeMarco said.

Crespo’s bond was set at $150,000 at his arraignment Friday morning, a spokesperson for the New Haven Bail Commissioner’s office said. He is scheduled to appear in court again Feb. 22.

Prosecutor Maxine Wilensky, who handled Crespo’s arraignment Friday, said she was not permitted to discuss any details of the case.

University Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith and spokeswoman Helaine Klasky both declined to provide details of the case, including whether the victim had a connection to Yale.

“We are working with all the relevant authorities in this matter and hope for a timely resolution,” Highsmith said in an e-mail.