Law School move to HGS called unlikely

With the Yale Law School eyeing a physical expansion, graduate students, faculty members and administrators were in general disbelief about talk by some at the Law School about taking office space in the Hall of Graduate Studies.

The Law School is looking for additional space for student housing, offices and classrooms, as its current Wall Street location is overcrowded. But University administrators said early this week the chances the Law School would expand to HGS are slim to none. Yale President Richard Levin said two more likely scenarios for an expansion would be to move into the Swing Space dormitory once the renovations of residential colleges are completed or to construct new space elsewhere on campus.

“The Hall of Graduate Studies belongs to the Graduate School,” Levin said. “There are plenty of other possibilities … [HGS] is not for sale.”

Law School Dean Harold Hongju Koh said it is too early in the process to make a definitive statement on a possible expansion.

“We are still at an early stage of our space planning process, and, obviously, we have to look at all available options,” Koh said in an e-mail Saturday. “But no one has indicated to us that the Hall of Graduate Studies is available.”

Graduate School Dean Jon Butler said the Law School is not the only school at the University that is overcrowded. The School of Management and Graduate School also face space constraints, he said.

“HGS is packed,” Butler said.

History of medicine and science director of graduate studies Daniel Kevles said he was “puzzled” by the Law School even considering an expansion into HGS.

“I am sitting here in the HGS, and there is no room for anything,” he said.

Kevles added that it is unlikely the Law School would completely take over HGS unless a new building was built for the Graduate School and large departments such as history that currently occupy the York Street building.

Although several graduate students questioned Monday were unfamiliar with possible Law School expansion into HGS, they said they wondered whether there would be space for the Law School to share the already-cramped quarters in HGS.

“I don’t think it’s very realistic,” Butler said. “I think it’s not in the cards.”

HGS was designed specifically to house students, faculty and administrators of the Graduate School, Butler said. He added that some 75 percent of HGS serves as a dormitory for graduate students and the remaining quarter houses five academic departments.

Graduate School Associate Dean Martin Klein echoed Butler’s sentiments about the potential Law School expansion.

“I haven’t heard anything about that, and I would suggest that the individuals in the Law School be asked the sources for their information,” Klein said.

Many Law School professors said they had not heard any definitive plans about HGS as a possible site for expansion, but acknowledged that the Law School is looking into the possibility.

“I don’t think it has progressed very far,” law professor Peter Schuck said. “I have heard it being discussed but along with a bunch of other options.”

HGS currently contains the Graduate School’s administrative offices, several academic departments, the McDougal Student Center, a dining hall and a residential tower for graduate students enrolled at Yale.

Kevin osowski/Contributing Photographer
Though rumors indicate that the Yale Law School is looking to expand to the Hall of Graduate Studies (above), administrators say that such a move is unlikely.
Kevin Osowski
Kevin osowski/Contributing Photographer Though rumors indicate that the Yale Law School is looking to expand to the Hall of Graduate Studies (above), administrators say that such a move is unlikely.

• Yep

Yep, that about sums it up. LOTS of truth there.

Thanks for reminding us how silly YWC is, I'd almost forgotten about that incident.

• Nope

Another comment to add to the lot. Learn to think, fool. Express distaste for the grossness of these words, not amusement over their tastelessness.

Thank you, Jessica.

Sadly, I'm afraid this is just going to preach to the choir. Those who don't see the issues here aren't going to be convinced just by seeing themselves in a mirror. If only it really were as simple as http://xkcd.com/481/

• Y'10

I think this piece mixes some extraordinarily repugnant comments with more legitimate ones in a way that tries to conflate the two and paint all skepticism of the Women's Center as sexism.

I hope this is unintentional, because that sort of tactic stifles discourse rather than starting it.

• josh

nice graphic. very well-laid out, and drives home the point effectively.

although: i think that in most areas of life, at least in academia and the coasts of america, women have already achieved true equality. it's very frustrating to me that even though men are performing worse than women in schools, that more than half of top administrative positions at lots of universities go to women, that women are still claiming to be discriminated against. i understand that discrimination against women was a big deal and a terrible thing 20 years ago. but to the best of my knowledge, those days are over. things are equal now. why do you keep insisting on special treatment?

• whatup

As a double major I would have to say that the double major sucks. I feel like lots of people who find themselves with 6 or 8 credits in a major and push themselves to double major because they only have 4 credits left which even further restricts their ability to do liberal arts. Also I hate the current policy where i can only count two classes or force themselves to write a forced a combo senior essay.

• NYtimes article

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/fashion/01WORK.html?scp=7&sq=women%20in%20the%20workplace&st=cse

Catalyst’s research is often an exploration of why, 30 years after women entered the work force in large numbers, the default mental image of a leader is still male. Most recent is the report titled “Damned if You Do, Doomed if You Don’t,” which surveyed 1,231 senior executives from the United States and Europe. It found that women who act in ways that are consistent with gender stereotypes — defined as focusing “on work relationships” and expressing “concern for other people’s perspectives” — are considered less competent. But if they act in ways that are seen as more “male” — like “act assertively, focus on work task, display ambition” — they are seen as “too tough” and “unfeminine.”

Women can’t win.

In 2006, Catalyst looked at stereotypes across cultures (surveying 935 alumni of the International Institute for Management Development in Switzerland) and found that while the view of an ideal leader varied from place to place — in some regions the ideal leader was a team builder, in others the most valued skill was problem-solving. But whatever was most valued, women were seen as lacking it.

Respondents in the United States and England, for instance, listed “inspiring others” as a most important leadership quality, and then rated women as less adept at this than men. In Nordic countries, women were seen as perfectly inspirational, but it was “delegating” that was of higher value there, and women were not seen as good delegators.

• lindsay

This is brilliant. It's harsh and in your face - I literally cried reading it. At the same time, it's putting the ugly truth of sexism out in the open.

Thank you for putting this together.

hahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH