Smoke in WLH summons New Haven Fire Department

Six New Haven fire trucks were called to Harkness Hall late Thursday afternoon after smoke was detected in the elevator shaft, New Haven Fire Captain William Gould said.

Gould said the elevator motor overheated, causing the electrical fire, a problem the New Haven Fire Department deals with on a regular basis. He said the investigation and response took approximately 15 minutes.

“It’s a pretty routine thing,” Gould said.

Gould said firefighters solved the problem by shutting down the power to the electrical motor. He said the elevator should be out of order until it undergoes the proper maintenance.

“The elevator mechanic will secure it and repair it,” Gould said.

Gould said the building did not undergo significant damage.


Comments