The women’s tennis team is going to have to make a lot of extra room on its bench this fall. In addition to welcoming its newest members, the Elis will also be embracing another addition — new assistant coach, Katie Granson.

A 2003 graduate of Duke University, Granson was the co-captain in her final season and led the Blue Devils to their third ACC Championship and a final four appearance in the NCAA tournament. During her stint in Raleigh, Granson was named All-ACC three times and was a member of the United States Junior National Tennis Team in 1998-99. During her days on the courts as a player, Granson was as high as No. 75 in the Junior World Rankings.

“I am very excited that Katie [Granson] will be joining our team and starting her coaching career at Yale,” Yale head coach Chad Skorupka said. “Not only was Katie an accomplished tennis player at Duke, she is also a great person and I know the team will benefit with her at Yale.”

Granson replaces Maren Haus who has been the assistant coach for the Bulldogs for the past two seasons. Haus is now attending the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies.

Last season, under the leadership of Skorupka, the Bulldogs had their most successful season in recent memory. The Elis finished second in the Ivy League (11-9, 6-1 Ivy) to Harvard (14-10, 7-0) and are hoping to edge the Cantabs for first place this year.

For his leadership last season, Skorupka was named the Wilson/ITA Coach of the Year for the East Region after a mere three seasons in New Haven.

Because Granson’s appointment was during the summer, only two members on the team had the chance to meet their new assistant coach for this season.

“[Granson] is really friendly,” team member Christine Alford ’07 said. “She is very motivated and I think the team will really connect with her.”

The rest of the squad will get to train with their new assistant coach this week.

Yale begins its new season on Sept. 18 at the Yale Fall Invitation.