The Yale Climate Campaign held a press conference yesterday morning to show support for “An Act Concerning Climate Change,” a bill currently being considered in the Connecticut state legislature.

Approximately 40 people attended the press conference on Beinecke Plaza, including members of the Yale Climate Campaign, Connecticut state senator Martin M. Looney, D-New Haven, members of the Connecticut Climate Coalition, and concerned students and faculty. ÊÊ

Members of the Yale Climate Campaign presented a letter from local academics in support of the bill. The letter, written by Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies Professor John Wargo, was signed by 69 professors from across the state, including over 30 from Yale, Jack Dafoe ’04, the event’s coordinator, said.

The letter called the bill a “necessary first step” in dealing with climate change issues. The bill requires a reduction in Connecticut emissions to 1990 levels by 2010, which Oswald Schmitz, who spoke at the press conference, called it a “bold” effort in an interview with the News.

“I think having the scientific community support the bill reinforces the resolve and the commitment of the scientific community to show society that climate change is something very serious, and it’s something to consider and important to control,” Schmitz, an environment school professor said.

— Sarah Marberg