As the Bulldogs huddled for a final time before taking the field Saturday in Ithaca, they learned they would have to wait another day for the chance to knock off nationally ranked No. 12 Cornell.

Seconds prior to gametime, it was announced the contest would be postponed until Sunday due to heavy fog.

“That was a big damper right there,” Eli goalkeeper Jordan Ellis ’07 said. “We couldn’t see the midfield line, but we were pumped and ready to play.”

Cornell was dealing with its own set of emotions, playing for the first time since the death of defender George Boiardi in a game against Birmingham March 17. When Yale and Cornell finally squared off yesterday, the Big Red proved better at channeling their feelings, defeating the Bulldogs, 10-6.

“There was a lot on the line,” Ellis said. “We haven’t beaten Cornell in five years and it was the last shot for our seniors. Plus, we knew it was going to be the best competition we faced so far, so we were looking to prove ourselves — I guess we weren’t able to harness those emotions.”

Cornell (4-1, 1-0 Ivy) came out strong against the Bulldogs (4-1, 1-1), scoring the games first four goals. Seven minutes into the second quarter, midfielder Ryan Capilupi ’04 tallied to put Yale on the board. The teams proceeded to trade goals and went into halftime with the Big Red ahead, 5-2.

The Bulldogs found themselves down at the half for the fourth straight year against the Big Red. While the margin was less Sunday than in the past — Yale was down by eight goals at the half in each of the past two years — the Bulldogs still faced the daunting task of coming back against an inspired Cornell team.

“I definitely felt like it was deja vu,” midfielder Marc Perry ’04 said. “But I felt at halftime, we had what it took to beat Cornell. I still thought we could win it.”

The Big Red emerged from the break with intensity. Thirty-five seconds in, Joe Boulukos scored the first of four third quarter Cornell goals. Even more impressive than the Big Red’s scoring prowess was its efficiency — Cornell took only eight shots in the frame.

“They capitalized on their chances,” Ellis said. “They were able to find the seams, got good looks and took advantage of them.”

Ivy League Player of the Week Seth Goldberg ’05 scored on an assist from Capilupi before Cornell answered with two more goals of its own.

Goldberg added a pair of scores in the fourth quarter for the hat trick. Captain Scott Kenworthy ’04 tallied in the game’s closing minutes for a 10-6 result.

The Big Red outshot Yale, 40-36 and won 11 of 20 face-offs.

In goal, Ellis, the current Ivy League Rookie of the Week, recorded 12 saves while Cornell’s Brandon Ross made eight.

“We had a great attitude going in,” defender Gray Eklund ’06 said. “We were prepared to play, we just didn’t execute — that was our biggest problem.”

The Bulldogs travel to Princeton next Saturday to take on the Tigers.

Notes: The Elis wore stickers on their helmets with the number 21 in honor of Boiardi.