There is no law against tidying up your room. But police would prefer if your trash found its way to a trash can — rather than out a window.

Police arrested Jeffrey Kelsey ’05 Jan. 17 for reckless endangerment after he allegedly threw weights, lamps and other objects out of the fourth floor window of his Davenport College suite, University Police Lt. Michael Patten said.

Kelsey’s room is directly above the York Street entrance to Davenport, but University Police Chief James Perrotti said no one was hurt in the incident.

“Imagine coming into your entryway and having that stuff coming down on you,” Perrotti said. “That could have been tragic.”

One Davenport student said he let another student into the residential college and then went to get food. He declined to say if the student was Kelsey. When he returned through the Park Street entrance, he said he could hear a commotion.

“I heard this really loud noise. It sounded like a glass bottle breaking,” he said. “When I came closer, I noticed that the sound was a computer monitor [that] had been hurled out the window.”

The student said he then saw the same man throwing objects from the fourth floor room. Davenport Dean Peter Quimby eventually came into the courtyard and called police, he said.

Davenport student David Hughes ’05 said he watched a student looking out of the window for a few minutes. Then, the student threw objects — including a CD player and computer monitor — from the suite for over 10 minutes.

Hughes said he had seen the student only a few minutes earlier and he looked “fine.”

When police arrived, the man was arrested and taken away, Hughes said.

Kelsey was arrested for reckless endangerment in the first degree, criminal mischief in the second degree and breach of the peace in the second degree, Patten said. All the charges are misdemeanors.

Kelsey could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Swing Space sabotage

Two weeks after Kelsey’s alleged impromptu room renovation, someone thought one of Swing Space’s fourth floor common rooms was in need of a little redesign as well.

On the morning of Jan. 30, cleaners in Swing Space called police about damage to the room, Patten said. They reported that a garbage can had been damaged, the upholstery on one of the chairs was ripped and there was a hole in the sheet rock walls of the room.

The case remains open and police are investigating, Patten said.

Nickel and dimed

When times get tight, it is understandable for a person to become a bit of a penny pincher. But it is best if those pennies are not pinched from the rooms of students.

On Jan. 23 at 8 a.m, police received a call that $25 worth of change had been stolen from a student’s room in Vanderbilt Hall. A digital camera was also stolen.

The student had left the door to the room unlocked, Patten said. The case remains open.