The old tenant at 264 York St. helped countless students seeking late-night snacks get well on their way to the “freshman 15.” Krauszer’s replacement, however, may help them lose it.

Sound Runner, a store for runners that sells shoes, apparel and accessories, will open in late November in the former Krauszer’s site, which has been vacant since the convenience store closed two and half years ago, University Properties announced at a press conference Tuesday. At the conference, University Properties also announced that Sogno, Boutique of Dreams, a speciality boutique which will sell a variety of products, will open Oct. 17 on Audubon Street next door to the Toy Store on Audubon.

“It’s wonderful to be able to bring two independent, family-owned and local businesses into our portfolio,” Director of University Properties David Newton said.

Sound Runner co-owner Julie Francis said her store will sell footwear and apparel for runners and active people. She said Sound Runner will carry popular brands of running shoes that are technically sound, including Adidas, Asics and Brooks.

“The best shoe is the one that works for your foot,” Francis said. “If you’re not comfortable, you don’t want to work out very long.”

The store will not offer other types of shoes when it opens, but Francis said they will continue to look at that possibility for the future.

Francis and the new store’s co-owner, her husband Bob, also own the Sound Runner store in Branford, which will have been open two years in November, Francis said.

To “embrace the community” and advocate running, Francis said they currently lead three running sessions a week from the Branford store for both beginning and experienced runners, in addition to one walking session. She said they will offer the runs from their New Haven store as well, though she has not yet worked out the exact routes.

“They’re really focused on helping people achieve their personal fitness goals,” Newton said.

While the nearby shoe store Barrie Ltd. Booters will close this fall, Newton said the two stores sell largely different products and the difficulties Barrie experienced should not affect Sound Runner. Newton said the owners of the new store want to be open weekends and evenings — a condition that Yale now requires of its tenants on Broadway.

Newton also said the new store should be complementary with other businesses in the area, including Trailblazer, which also sells outdoor products.

Sogno owner Krista Flynn said she designed her new boutique to offer “something for everyone in the family, at every price point for every taste.” The store will sell clothing for women and children, accessories such as hats and belts for men and women, furniture, jewelry, gourmet foods and spa products.

Flynn said Sogno, which means “dream” in Italian, truly is a dream project for her. She said she had previously worked in retail management and was a buyer for Bloomingdale’s in New York, but this is the first time she is going into business for herself.

The store will initially be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m Monday through Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m, but Flynn said she is considering adding hours on Sunday and at night later in the year.

Flynn said she hopes to work with other local business in the area, through cross-promotion and other means. The store’s window displays have already attracted a lot of attention from her neighbors and people who work in nearby buildings, she said.

“This is a complement to the other neighborhood stores,” Flynn said.

Newton said University Properties is continuing to talk with other possible tenants for the Whitney-Audubon building.