After extending its season-best win streak to four games by sweeping Fairfield Friday, the softball team came back to Earth Saturday, getting swept by the University of Connecticut.

Yale (6-16) won both games against the Stags (12-13) by identical 2-1 scores. In the opener, the Bulldogs managed only four hits, but Ashley Linnenbank ’06 held the opposition to only two hits to earn her first win of the season. The Elis trailed 1-0 in the third but pushed across both runs that inning on hits by Leah Kelley ’04 and captain Jesseka Bartholomew ’03.

In the second game, Yale was outhit 8-4 but managed to eke out the win on the strength of two more RBIs from Bartholomew on a sacrifice fly in the first inning and a double in the fourth. Beth Pavlicek ’06 earned the victory to boost her record to 4-2 while lowering her ERA to 1.11.

But Saturday, the close games did not go the Elis’ way. The first game saw both teams put up a run in the second inning and then remaining scoreless until the 10th, when the Huskies (10-12-1) put a three spot on the board to ensure the 4-1 victory. Peggy Hunt ’06 pitched the entire game and was the hard-luck loser, allowing only two earned runs. Pavlicek had three hits and the lone run batted in.

The second game did not nearly have the drama of the first. The Huskies scored once in the third and twice in the second, and the Elis could only squeak out three hits in dropping the 3-0 decision.

Wednesday, the Bulldogs host St. John’s (13-13) in one of their final tune-ups before beginning Ivy League play.