Pierson College students got a sneak peek Tuesday at what their college will look like in 2004, while Yale announced more plans for the next round of college renovations. Trumbull College will renovated in the 2005-2006 school year and Silliman College is slated for renovation in 2006-2007, administrators said.

Silliman’s size prompted University Planner Pamela Delphenich to hold off on the college’s renovations while the University develops the unusually complex plans. Pierson students had a chance to meet last night with Kieran Timberlake Associates, the architects for the renovations, to view animations and sketches of the plans for their college. Plans for the 2004-2005 Davenport College renovation are currently in the second stage of design and will be sent out for contracting bids in the fall.

Delphenich said Silliman will be tricky because the number of students in Yale’s largest residential college will create a housing crunch. The renovation could also run longer than other college renovations, she said.

“The assumption is that we’re doing Trumbull first because Silliman is larger and requires more planning,” Delphenich said.

Dean of Administrative Affairs John Meeske said it is not clear how Yale will house displaced Silliman students during the renovation.

“We don’t know,” Meeske said. “The situation hasn’t been settled. We recognize it’s a big issue that’s going to have to be confronted.”

Steven Kiernan of Kiernan Timberlake Associates, which will renovate Silliman in addition to Pierson and Davenport, said Silliman is 100,000 square feet larger than the average residential college.

“It presents unique challenges,” said David Yager, Yale’s senior architect for facilities and project manager for the renovation.

Meanwhile, plans for the Pierson renovation — which include a shared recreation space with Davenport and a new three-story building — are set, with construction to begin this summer.

“Pierson is moving forward, it’s moving along,” Delphenich said.

Last night Kiernan presented the plans for the renovation to a packed Pierson dining hall. Students clapped and gasped at animations of the new Upper Court addition — a first in residential college renovations — and an animation of a sample room.

Students seemed to echo the sentiments of Pierson Master Harvey Goldblatt, who said the plan will “improve [the college] in many, many ways.”

“This is the happiest day of my life,” Don Phan ’05 said. “Living in Pierson’s going to be so sweet. This is going to rule.”

The Pierson renovation, which will cost approximately $30 million, will increase the total occupancy of Pierson from 264 to 310, with the number of senior singles increasing by 20.

The new basement activity space — much of which will be shared with Davenport, and will include a stadium-seating theater, a print shop, a digital-media studio and a basketball court — will not be fully accessible until after the Davenport renovation.

While Kieran Timberlake Associates will renovate three of the four colleges in this group of renovations, Yale chose Goody, Clancy and Associates for the Trumbull renovation. The Boston-based firm worked on the renovation of Linsly-Chittenden Hall in 1998.

Yale took a break from residential college renovations this year — after completing renovations of four colleges — to renovate Vanderbilt Hall on Old Campus.

Calhoun, Ezra Stiles, Jonathan Edwards and Morse colleges will form the third and final group of colleges to be renovated in the future.

JESSAMYN BLAU