Former Princeton director of admissions Stephen LeMenager, who was involved in the unauthorized accessing of Yale’s admissions Web site last spring, has been appointed director of planning and administration for campus life, Princeton officials announced Thursday.

The appointment, effective March 1, comes almost a year after LeMenager and other Princeton admissions officials used Social Security Numbers and birth dates to access the admissions decisions of eight applicants. After the incident became public last summer, Princeton officials removed LeMenager from the admissions office and announced they would reassigned him to another position in the university.

Yale discovered the breach in security in May and filed a complaint with the Federal Bureau of Investigation July 25. An independent investigator that Princeton hired later later traced 14 unauthorized log-ins to Yale’s admissions Web site to computers in the Princeton admissions office.

LeMenager told the Yale Daily News in July that accessing the site was “really an innocent way for us to check out the security.”

LeMenager worked at the admissions office for most of his 20 years at Princeton. In his new position, he will work closely with Vice President for Campus Life Janet Dickerson on financial planning and project management, including a proposed new Health and Wellness Center, Princeton officials said in a statement. He will also serve on Senior Vice President Charles Kalmbach’s Administrative Council.

–Bridget Kelly