Paige Harazin ’04 and Jimmy Veazey ’04 set school records this weekend at Harvard. But strong individual performances were not enough for the Bulldogs to win the H-Y-P meet.

Although the Bulldog women (8-3) lost to Harvard 194.5-124.5 and to Princeton 217-102, and the men (9-2) fell to Harvard 291-60 and to Princeton 275-76, head coach Frank Keefe was not disappointed with his teams’ efforts.

“We didn’t win, but both teams swam fast,” he said. “That’s what’s important right now.”

Harazin paced the Bulldog women, winning both the 100 and 200 freestyles. Her time of 1:49.30 in the 200 was a school record. She also placed fifth in the 50 freestyle.

Susan Cooke ’03 also placed in the top five of three events, taking third in both the 200 and 400 individual medleys and fifth in the 200 breaststroke. Katherine McKeon ’04 provided a spark in diving, winning the 1-meter springboard competition with 249.15 points.

The meet ended on a high note when Harazin combined with Nicoletta Ruhl ’06, Rachel Rowe ’06 and captain Catey Bradford ’03 to win the 400 freestyle relay in 3:32.08.

In the men’s meet, Veazey set a new school record in the 200 butterfly with a time of 1:49.22, which landed him in fifth place. Other top-five finishers included John Atkinson ’05, fifth in the 500 freestyle, and Alex Nash ’04, fourth in the 200 backstroke.

Like the women, the men’s team closed the meet strong. Veazey, Jack Cooney ’04, James Cocks ’03 and Aaron Lange ’03 placed third in the 400 freestyle relay, with a time of 3:02.03.

“The relays swam really well,” Keefe said. “[Veazey and Harazin] set those records on only three days rest. They’ll have two-and-a-half weeks of rest before conference [competition].”

Two school records and season-best performances for almost everyone bode well for Bulldog teams still several weeks away from their conference championship meets.

“Even though we didn’t come away with a team win, our individual performances were strong,” Heidi Kraus ’03 said.

As the teams enter the homestretch of their seasons, they need not look any further than H-Y-P for motivation. Yale will face Harvard and Princeton again at the conference championship meet in about a month.

“It’s not like we are disappointed with our swims,” Atkinson said. “We swam well. We saw exactly what kind of competition we’ll be up against at conference, and that’s where we’ll be waiting for them.”

Before the conference meets arrive, swimmers and divers will close the dual meet season this weekend at Brown University. The men’s team will compete in a double dual meet with Columbia and host Brown; the women’s team will face only Brown.