The women’s ultimate Frisbee team went into the Huck-a-Hunk o’ Burnin’ Pumpkin tournament at Brown this past weekend looking to win their second tournament of the season. But Ramona did not advance past the semifinal round.

The Brown alumni team, which won the tournament by beating MIT in the finals, defeated Ramona in the semifinals.

“We went into the tournament knowing we could win it,” co-captain Jennifer Christenson ’03 said. “These are teams that we see often and it was just a matter of stepping up our level of play in the games that matter.”

Saturday’s play, which consisted of four pool play games, did nothing to lessen Ramona’s confidence. Dressed in ’80s garb to celebrate Halloween, Ramona handily beat Brown’s B team 11-4, dominated Columbia 13-6, and squeaked by Swarthmore 13-12 before losing 12-7 to MIT and finishing in a tie for first place in their pool. Sunday, Ramona beat Brown’s A team 15-6.

But in a tough contest against the Brown alumni team, Ramona was unable to put the game away before the Brown squad pulled away for good, 15-8.

Ramona’s offense during the game ran smoothly. “We were able to adjust quickly to their different defenses–zone, clam, 1-3-3, force-middle–which they switched between a lot,” ChristensŒon said.

But Ramona had trouble slowing down the offense of the Brown Alumni.

“We didn’t beat ourselves with mistakes,” Elizabeth Waldman ’03 said. “We played very well, but they just played better.”

Ramona came away from the tournament pleased with their play.

“Our returners were working well together, especially in shredding the Brown alumni’s zone and clam defense,” Waldman said. “Additionally, the rookies really stepped it up all around.”

This tournament marked the end of Ramona’s fall season, and they finished with a 22-5 record against college teams. Ramona will begin its spring season in March.