Fire in Branford elevator halts service of hot food

A fire in a Branford College elevator midday Sunday rendered the college’s dining hall unable to serve hot food Sunday evening and all day Monday, although service returned to normal yesterday.

Branford Master Steven Smith said the motor of the elevator caught fire. Dining hall workers, he explained, do the majority of food preparation downstairs and also could not get dishes from the second-floor kitchen down to the basement.

The dining hall offered cold cuts and grill options in the absence of the regular hot fare.

Kristina Zdanys ’04, a Branford resident, said the college’s limited dining options were not a hassle.

“I’m not quite sure what happened with the electrical system, but I think that these things do happen and that the Branford dining hall staff is so accommodating to students that if something happens, students should be equally accommodating to them,” Zdanys said.

–Elise Jordan

Comments