After one of the most successful seasons in Yale history, the men’s basketball has earned a berth to the National Invitation Tournament for its efforts.

The Bulldogs (20-10), one of three Ivy League co-champions this season, will face Rutgers (18-12) Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at the Louis Brown Athletic Center in Piscataway, N.J. The news comes just one day after the Elis lost to the University of Pennsylvania, 77-58, for the right to go to the NCAA tournament.

It is Yale’s first ever appearance in the NIT, which expanded from 32 to 40 teams this year. The Bulldogs last made it to the postseason when they lost 92-82 in overtime to Wake Forest in the NCAA tournament on March 12, 1962.

For the Scarlet Knights – who lost to Boston College in the first round of the Big East tournament after finishing 8-8 in the league – it will be their third appearance in the NIT in the last four years. Rutgers has lost four of its last five games, but went 15-1 this year at home, including wins over No. 19 Connecticut and No. 20 Miami.

Overall, Sunday marked a banner day for the Ivy League in terms of postseason success. Penn received an 11 seed in the NCAA tournament and will face No. 25 California Friday in Pittsburgh, Pa. Princeton also qualified for the NIT – playing at Louisville on Tuesday – giving the Ivy League three teams in the postseason.

Notes: For ticket information, call the Yale ticket office at (203) 432-1400. For reservations on a free student bus from New Haven to Piscataway, call (203) 432-0258 by Wednesday, March 13th at 5:00 p.m.