While no Spring Fling band will please every Yalie, the YCC hopes that its online survey will help the University make a popular choice.

The YCC will post the first of its two Spring Fling surveys measuring student preference for bands at YaleStation.org this morning.

The survey will allow students to name both a dream band and a band that is feasible considering the YCC’s limited financial resources. It also asks for student response on other aspects of Spring Fling like the location, booths and attractions.

This is the first time the YCC will ask students to fill out an online survey.

“I expect the format for this year’s survey will more accurately gauge student opinion and that will allow us to plan another successful Spring Fling,” YCC Activities Chair Andrew Allison ’04 said.

Recent acts have included Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, Wyclef Jean, and Rusted Root. Last year’s top choices from the survey included the Dave Matthews Band and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Choosing a band each year is an arduous process. Even the most popular groups often draw criticism.

“If Yale books the Dave Matthews Band, then I am transferring to Harvard,” Hank Greenberg ’05 said. “I think Yale should go out and book a different band, like String Cheese Incident or the Radiators. We need a change of pace for the Spring Fling to wash out the bad taste left by Counting Crows.”

In previous years, the YCC issued Spring Fling surveys in the dining halls.

But this year the YCC, which has been building a close relationship with YaleStation.org, decided to put the survey online. Allison said he hopes an online survey will elicit more responses and be easier to sort and tally. This increased ease might also allow the YCC to book the band earlier, Allison said.

He said a second survey, which will narrow the choice to a few bands, will be posted before the end of the semester or in early January.

The first survey will be online for a week, beginning at 8 a.m. and ending at 8 a.m. next Monday. YaleStation.org founder Alexander Clark ’04 said a campuswide e-mail will inform students about the process.

Student opinion about Spring Fling bands reflected optimism.

“I hope this Spring Fling turns out to be better than the two I’ve seen. I think this year’s Fling will definitely be better than both Wyclef and Ben Harper,” Richard Nobles ’03 said.

Jesus Torres ’05 said he is confident Spring Fling will be an enjoyable event.

“As long as we choose a band that will appeal to different tastes and musical interests, the student turnout and support should be great,” Torres said.