Given its size, one might think that a ping-pong table would be rather difficult to steal. But Pierson College’s ping-pong table is missing, along with weights, chairs, a scale and the personal belongings of more than 30 students.

Under the recommendation of Master Harvey Goldblatt, the Pierson College Council has responded to the thefts by forming the Pierson Security Council. The security council intends to make Piersonites more aware of security problems and take action to prevent them.

“In reality, the colleges aren’t that secure,” council representative Michael Robertson ’02 said.

The seven-person council convened for the first time last week to discuss the current theft problems and propose possible solutions.

Robertson said Pierson might be a target for theft because of its well-equipped basement.

“Pierson has made capital investments in the past few years in its basement. We have some televisions, lots of new furniture and good gym equipment,” Robertson said.

The committee has created a new system for summer storage in the Pierson basement. Robertson noted that one of the problems with the previous communal storage system is that students often take furniture under the impression that it has been left behind. Next summer, each student’s belongings will have numbered tags.

Robertson said the committee is trying to find out who has access to student rooms over the summer. Many Pierson students returned to their rooms this fall to find their furniture missing, but there were no signs of break-ins.

“If we find that a large number of workers have access to the rooms, then we’ll just tell students not to leave their belongings there over the summer,” Robertson said.

For now, the council wants Piersonites to be more responsible. Last Wednesday, the Security Council sent out an e-mail regarding the thefts this semester. The committee urged Pierson students to refrain from propping open gates and doors to entryways, rooms or basements.

In addition, the council asked Pierson students to report any theft or suspicious behavior to the representatives. “We want to spread awareness,” council representative Leveille McClain ’04 said. “People here are in the habit of taking for granted the fact that we’re safe. We are in a city.”

McClain added that Pierson’s peripheral location might make it more prone to security problems than other colleges.