Yale President Richard Levin and University Chaplain Jerry Streets are inviting the entire Yale community to a service of remembrance for those who have died and those who are missing following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

The service will be held 12:15 p.m. Monday at Battell Chapel. It is a multi-faith service of readings, prayers, music and silence, and is designed for the entire Yale community — students, faculty, staff and alumni.

The Office of the University Chaplain is planning the service, and participatants include Yale Religious Ministry, Association of Yale Alumni, Locals 34 and 35, and students. Yale’s cable channel will broadcast the gathering.

Cynthia Terry, associate university chaplin, said the service is designed so that people can come late or leave early as their schedules allow.

“We want to remember and honor those who have died and those who are missing, as well as their families and friends,” Terry said. “This is a time for us to gather as a community, to gain strength from one another, to mourn together, to remember and honor.”

Monday’s event will be the first time since the candlelight vigil held Sept. 11 that Streets and Levin together have invited the entire Yale community to assemble concerning the terrorist attacks. At that vigil, which was held on Cross Campus, Levin offered the community words of support, saying, “Yale is a community of concern, and to those of you who grieve and those of you who are afraid, I say, we will do everything we can to help and support you.”

“What makes this moment so terrible is that there remains so much uncertainty,” Levin added at that time.

The Monday service will also be a time to mourn for the Yale alumni who died in New York. The Yale Daily News has reported that David M. Berray ’84, David Shelby Berry ’80, Bennett L. Fisher ’66, Bradley Hoorn ’01, Richard Y. Lee ’91, Christopher Murphy ’88, Stacy L. Sanders ’98, Elizabeth M. Gregg GRD ’77 and Charles A. McCrann LAW ’72 are among those who died. The purpose of the service is also for people to remember those outside of the Yale community who have died.