College/ Year: Branford ’03

Hometown: New York, N.Y.

Major: history

After two years representing Branford College, one on the Freshman College Council and one on the Yale College Council, EB Kelly wants to represent the whole student body as YCC vice president — and that means involving as many students as she can.

“I want to open the door to the community so any constituency — any group or person on campus — can come to the YCC and tell us what they think and lobby us and share their views,” Kelly said.

Among Kelly’s plans to get students involved are publishing YCC minutes in the Yale Daily News and making students more aware of standing committees’ roles.

“The reason YCC lacks legitimacy is an inherent lack of organization and communication,” Kelly said. “Our most effective YCC meetings are the ones when students with a vested interest in what we are discussing come and share their views.”

Kelly said she also hopes to hold administrators more accountable in responding to YCC resolutions and improve relationships among the YCC, students and administrators.

“Our job is to take concerns of the student body and put them into resolution forms, formalize them and send them to the administration,” Kelly said. “Equally, administrators should be more accountable for the resolutions we send them, and they should respond to them in a more punctual manner.”

— Arielle Levin Becker