About Us

YDN Front
“The innovation which we begin by this morning’s issue is justified by the dullness of the times, and the demand for news among us.” – Editors of the Yale Daily News, January 28, 1878

Founded on January 28, 1878, the Yale Daily News Publishing Co., Inc. is a media company that publishes the nation’s oldest daily college newspaper, the Yale Daily News. The Yale Daily News Publishing Co., Inc. is independently funded and does not receive financial support from Yale University. The company publishes the Yale Daily News Monday through Friday during the academic year to serve the Yale and New Haven communities. In addition to the daily newspaper, the News publishes the Yale Daily News Magazine–a magazine that focuses on long-form features and fiction–as well as the Insider’s Guide to Colleges.

The News’ content is produced by a dedicated, all-volunteer undergraduate staff, while its business operations are managed by two full-time staff in addition to undergraduate volunteers. Most of the News’ reporters are freshmen and sophomores, while the News’ editorial board is mainly comprised of juniors.

The News provides timely and objective reporting on matters relating to the University, acts as a forum for student community, and provides a training ground for journalists and writers at Yale.  The News is regularly recognized the New York Times and other leading media outlets for its high journalistic standards. The Yale Daily News also claims many illustrious alumni in journalism, politics, business, and public service; Yale Daily News alumni are responsible for founding and/or heading numerous major media organizations, including TimeSlateNational Review, and Conde Nast Portfolio. The News is proud of its past and continuing success in training students and serving the Yale community.